
NEWARK– Efforts to change library book procedures in Worcester County Public Schools failed this week.
Motions by Worcester County Board of Education member Katie Addis to create a mature books section in school libraries and to give taxpayers the ability to challenge books both failed with no support from other board members. The decisions came after dozens of citizens voiced their support for current policies.
“I urge the board of education to stand firm in its commitment to intellectual freedom, ensuring our schools remain bastions of knowledge and enlightenment,” Berlin parent Tony Weeg said. “Let us collectively reject all attempts to stifle this freedom, understanding that a well-rounded education is firmly built on exposure to a broad spectrum of ideas. We must actively champion the values of tolerance, diversity, and intellectual curiosity. By doing so, we not only enrich the educational experience for our students but also uphold the principles that form the bedrock of a democratic and enlightened society.”
Last month, several people in attendance at the school board’s monthly meeting voiced concerns about sexually explicit books in school libraries. Following that input, Addis told the board she’d like to see taxpayers allowed to challenge books, as currently only parents, guardians, employees and students can lodge formal complaints about books. School board member Jon Andes said he thought the board should consider creation of a mature section for school libraries, as Cecil County did.
In anticipation of those discussions being renewed at this week’s meeting, dozens of citizens provided input related to books within school libraries Tuesday. While some spoke in support of allowing taxpayer complaints and restricting books, the majority said they didn’t want changes to current policies.
More SEX more DRUGS more ROCK-in-ROLL !!!!!
Gotta let the Lefty loonies corrupt as many children as possible…sick sick sick
Bill Gordy needs to go